Episode 53: The Migrant Crisis
On today’s episode, we focus heavily on the single topic that has been rightfully dominating the news cycle: the separation of migrant families at the border due to President Trump’s Zero Tolerance policy.
In the first segment, we look at the fractions within the Republican Party that make compromise impossible for any legislative achievement. In the second segment, we compare George Stephanopoulos and Chuck Todd’s language when talking about a sensitive issue like the migrant crisis.
There’s a lot to say about this topic. Unfortunately, we can’t talk about it all. If you would like to catch up on this story and understand the impact of Trump’s Zero Tolerance policy, we encourage spending some time on the following news articles. Or you can do a basic Google search of the issue and see how you can best support organizations working on this issue. But definitely do something:
- Trump Calls for Depriving Immigrants Who Illegally Cross Border of Due Process Rights (NYT)
- Trump doesn’t need to put families in detention centers to enforce his immigration policy. There are better options. (Vox)
- 500 migrant kids have been reunited with their parents. More than a thousand are still caught in the system. (Vox)
- We Owe Central American Migrants Much More Than This (NY Magazine)
And as always, our show chapters:
- Divided Republicans
- The language of the hosts
Want to stalk us some more? Check out some of our other work:
The Sunday political shows discussed this week: